Richard was appointed Chairman of Gleeds in 1999 and has grown the business into a global organisation with a turnover of over £200 million and 71 offices around the world.
Having graduated from the University of Reading in 1976 with a degree in Quantity Surveying, Richard worked in Oman and Egypt before returning to the UK to set up Gleeds’ overseas operations in the Far East, America and Europe. His growth strategy has seen both new offices and new markets for Gleeds, with a focus on providing services for all stages of the property lifecycle.
Maintaining close contact with clients in new regions or those facing unique challenges, Richard strongly believes that as an independent business, Gleeds is able to provide clients with the best quality advice.
Richard is passionate about design, education and the environment and under his direction, Gleeds works closely with third party organisations such as the RIBA, RICS and CIOB, as well as local and national governments to help drive change in the construction industry. Richard has hosted events with senior key figures such as HRH Prince of Wales, Frank Gehry, Lord Richard Rogers, Lord Norman Foster, Kevin McCloud and Boris Johnson.
Committed to Corporate Responsibility, he participates in Gleeds’ community activities and has advised the UK Government on housing, apprenticeships and the skills shortage debate.
Richard’s industry positions and commitments include:
- Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Honorary Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects
- Special Fellow of Chartered Institute of Building
- Fellow of the Association of Project Managers
- Editorial board member and contributor to Building Magazine and Property Week
- Fundraising Ambassador for The Nehemiah Project
- Joint Chair of Lord Stunell’s review into the impact of Brexit on UK construction
- Advisor to the Treasury Select Committee on the repair and restoration of the UK Houses of Parliament