Creating a contemporary office space in the heart of medieval York.
The Hungate in York was once a wool market, a place in years gone by where people came together. It had almost become a forgotten part of the city’s medieval history, until it was recently transformed into award-winning commercial office space for insurance firm Hiscox.
Following an extensive planning process, our commercial and heritage team were appointed to provide cost management, advisory and health & safety services throughout the progression of the 4,431m2 development.
office spaces available across four storeys
Where heritage meets the contemporary
The building design has been heavily influenced by the heritage of the site and boasts an open lay-out as a perfect space for people to come together.
The ribbon-like staircase in the centre of the building is modelled on York’s city walls and culminates in a roof terrace which offers views of York Minster.
Several pieces of artwork from the Hiscox art collection feature throughout the building, including a decommissioned Soviet rocket as the centrepiece in the atrium. The rocket seeks to provoke, inspire and increase productivity within the office.
An award-winning project
The Hiscox Building has become one of York’s most successful commercial structures, being recognised in the following award categories:
- York Design Awards 2016 Winner - Commercial: Large
- WAF Awards 2016 Shortlisted - Office
- RIBA Yorkshire Award 2016 Shortlisted
- Estates Gazette Awards 2016 Shortlisted - Creative Spaces Award
- The Concrete Society Awards 2016 Shortlisted
- BCI Awards 2016 Shortlisted - Building Project of the Year (£10m-£50m)
- BCO Awards 2016 Winner - Corporate Workplace